The video below is the full version of Field Pub: a digital compilation with binaural field recordings and a voiceover, as well as sampled sound and High Definition video footage.
Field Pub was shown at A Hot Afternoon with Hot Cabinet, with the NYC-based collective Hot Cabinet, in 2021.
Voiceover, field recordings and sampled sound
I wrote and recorded Field Pub‘s voiceover in 2018. It is a combination of observations during a solitary drink in the busy beer garden of a pub in Northampton, and memories of other pubs in England.
The field recordings included in the piece were developed from binaural recordings taken during walks in Derbyshire and in Glasgow.
I sourced additional sound from YouTube and the website Cambridge Music Technology.
I captured various bits of footage using my Canon EOS 750 Dslr, mostly taken during various lockdowns during the COVID pandemic. I also found an SD card used in an old HD video camera, with footage taken years ago. Elements of this footage include:
- Strands of grass whilst waiting for friends in Queens Park in Glasgow
- The back of a bald man’s head during a train journey from Manchester Piccadilly to Glasgow Central
- The Allendale Tar Bar’l new years celebrations in Northumberland, as 2019 became 2020
- Video calls and observations of cooking and eating in a flat next to Mount Florida train station in Glasgow
- Me pulling a jumper on
- A friend with a beard without the glasses that he normally wears
- Myself speaking to camera, wearing glasses in my flat
- Myself, not wearing glasses speaking and laughing to camera in a club in Glasgow
- Fishermen in Newhaven Harbour in Edinburgh
- A moss-covered branch and trunk at the Scottish border with England, at the north of Cumbria